Wednesday 28 November 2012

Vision

I recently started wearing glasses for reading and computer work. I've found this to be awkward when I need to look up and down a lot, like when doing data inputting at work, so I've picked up my touch typing skills again so I can keep my eyes on the screen. I also find if I need to look at someone who comes into the room to speak to them, that they are out of focus. This means I either have to perch my glasses on my nose like a Granny or slide them up onto my head so they get tangled in my hair.

What is the point of all this?
Well, God kind of spoke to me about focus.
We need to choose what we want to focus on, and the things around will go out of focus as we do so.
If we focus on Jesus then the things in the world go out of focus. We lose touch with what is going on because it does not hold our attention in the same way as it used to.
In the same way we could shift our focus to things around, to TV or celebreties or sports or entertainments or whatever else may fill up our time and grab our attention. If we do that it is not surprising that the lose focus on Jesus, we find we are adrift spiritually and need to take action to sharpen up.

I've not always worn glasses, I could manage fine without for years. Maybe that's a spiritual principle too?
That we can manage seemingly OK for years, but there will come a point when we have to choose what it is we want to focus our lives on.
If I ignored the fact I need glasses I would damage my eyes and could hasten old-age blindness.
If I ignore my spiritual state I will become blind or dull in my spirit.

No comments: